We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : MAA Announces Winners of National Education Award - News
WASHINGTON, DC - The Edyth May Sliffe Awards for Distinguished Mathematics Teaching in Middle School and High School are given annually to middle and high school mathematics teachers who have done outstanding work to motivate students in mathematics by participating in one of the MAA American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) competitions.
- : Mathematicians Honored by MAA for Service and Teaching - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The top mathematics educators were honored by the Mathematical Association of America for their dedication to teaching and engaging students during MAA MathFest in Cincinnati on Aug. 2, 2019. The awards recognize excellence in mathematics teaching and the authors of education materials used in the classroom. The awards also honor MAA members for their service to the field of mathematics and to the Association.
- : Top Mathematics Writing Honored at MAA MathFest - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Prizes for the year’s best mathematics writing were given on Aug. 2, 2019 in Cincinnati by the Mathematical Association of America at MAA MathFest, the annual meeting of the Mathematical Association of America.
- : U.S. Places First at International Mathematics Competition in U.K. - News
- : Top High School Math Olympians Announced by MAA American Mathematics Competitions - News
WASHINGTON, DC - Sixteen top high school math students were honored for their excellence in mathematical olympiads on June 3, 2019 during a ceremony in Washington, D.C. at the U.S. Department of State.
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Fri, 08 Nov 2019 12:48:52 +0000: Brains of girls and boys are similar, producing equal math ability - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
New research comprehensively examined the brain development of young boys and girls. Their research shows no gender difference in brain function or math ability.
- Tue, 29 Oct 2019 14:33:13 +0000: Could mathematics help to better treat cancer? - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Impaired information processing may prevent cells from perceiving their environment correctly; they then start acting in an uncontrolled way and this can lead to the development of cancer. To better understand how impaired information transmission influences the activity of diseased cells, researchers are going beyond the field of biology. They propose to examine cellular communication in the light of information theory, a mathematical theory more commonly used in computer science.
- Mon, 28 Oct 2019 14:41:57 +0000: Mathematics reveals new insights into Marangoni flows - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Scientists have discovered new mathematical laws governing the properties of Marangoni flows. The new theory better matches experimental observations of the well-known effect.
- Fri, 25 Oct 2019 13:40:30 +0000: Determining the shapes of atomic clusters - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Researchers propose a new method of identifying the morphologies of atomic clusters. They have confirmed that the distinctive geometric shapes of some clusters, as well as the irregularity of amorphous structures, can be fully identified mathematically.
- Mon, 21 Oct 2019 15:49:18 +0000: Novel method turns any 3D object into a cubic style - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Computer scientists have developed a computational method to quantify an abstract cubic style. Additionally, their method also enables users to create new shapes that resemble the input shape and exhibit the cubic style.