We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : Team USA Earns Fourth Place in 2020 European Girls' Mathematical Olympiad - News
Washington, DC - Team USA earned fourth place in the European Girls’ Mathematical Olympiad (EGMO), a challenging high school competition hosted annually to honor girls across the world who excel in mathematics. This year, the competition originally scheduled in the Netherlands was held virtually on April 15-21, 2020. In addition to the team’s placement, the following team members were also awarded for their individual performance:
- : Mathematical Association of America Announces the Winners of the Inaugural Maryam Mirzakhani AMC 10A Prize & Awards to Support Women in Mathematics - News
Washington, DC - Jessica Wan of San Juan, Puerto Rico, has been named the first-ever Maryam Mirzakhani AMC 10A Prize winner for her performance on the 2020 Mathematical Association of America American Mathematics Competitions (MAA AMC) tenth-grade competition. Jessica achieved a perfect score of 150 on the AMC 10A, higher than any other female participant in the United States.
- : U.S. Team Earns Third Place at the Romanian Master of Mathematics - News
Washington, DC - The U.S. team earned third place at the Romanian Master of Mathematics (RMM) held in Bucharest, Romania from February 26 - March 2, 2020. The RMM is a challenging international high school mathematics competition that allows students to exchange mathematical ideas and engage in cross-cultural communication with other students from around the world.
- : Launching New Virtual Invitational International Math Competition - News
WASHINGTON, DC (July 13th, 2020) Debuting today is the Cyberspace Mathematical Competition (CMC). The MAA’s American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) and Art of Problem Solving (AoPS) have collaborated to offer a free and virtual invitational international contest for high school students.
- : Four Outstanding Teachers Honored with MAA’s 2020 Teaching Awards - News
WASHINGTON, DC (July 27th, 2020) Annually, the Mathematical Association of America honors teachers who are making an impact on STEM education with the Alder Awards and Dolciani Award. We are pleased to announce the 2020 Alder Award winners, Selenne Bañuelos, Kenneth M Monks, and Brandy Wiegers; and Dolciani Award winner, Henry Pollak.
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Tue, 24 May 2022 19:49:01 +0000: AI reveals unsuspected math underlying search for exoplanets - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
The astronomers' goal: find an artificial intelligence algorithm to interpret microlensing events captured by the upcoming Roman Space Telescope and speed detection of exoplanets around other stars. They achieved that, but the AI told them something unexpected and deep: the theory used to infer stellar and exoplanetary masses and orbits from observations was incomplete. Digging into the mathematics, they uncovered a theory that explains all types of microlensing events and possible ambiguities in interpreting them.
- Tue, 17 May 2022 13:48:42 +0000: The numbers don't lie: Australia is failing at maths and we need to find a new formula to arrest the decline - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Australia has suffered a significant drop in teenage maths proficiency in the past 20 years -- sliding from 11th in the OECD rankings to 29th place out of 38 countries, prompting widespread debate over potential curriculum changes. One researcher says hand gestures could stop the slide.
- Thu, 12 May 2022 16:18:24 +0000: How cells correct errors under time pressure - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
How does a cell balance risk and speed when dividing? Scientists have developed and experimentally tested the first mathematical theory that describes the cell's best strategy for dividing safely and efficiently.
- Mon, 09 May 2022 15:20:38 +0000: Development of an ensemble model to anticipate short-term COVID-19 hospital demand - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Scientists identified the most relevant predictive variables for anticipating hospital demand and proposed using an ensemble model based on the average of the predictions of several individual models.
- Mon, 25 Apr 2022 19:43:18 +0000: An easier way to teach robots new skills - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Researchers have developed a technique that enables a robot to learn a new pick-and-place task with only a handful of human demonstrations. This could allow a human to reprogram a robot to grasp never-before-seen objects, presented in random poses, in about 15 minutes.