We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : Top Mathematics Writers Awarded Prizes at MAA MathFest - News
WASHINGTON, DC -- Awards for the year’s best mathematics writing were given on July 27 in Chicago by the Mathematical Association of America at MAA MathFest, one of the largest gathering of mathematicians in the country.
- : Nation’s Top Mathematics Educators Honored for 2017 - News
WASHINGTON, DC -- This year’s top mathematics educators were honored at for their dedication to teaching the next generation of quantitative thinkers with the mathematical skills to tackle real-world problems at the Mathematical Association of America MathFest in Chicago on July 27. The awards honor mathematics teaching and the authors of educational materials used in the classroom.
- : U.S. Students Bring Home Medals at International Mathematics Competition in Brazil - News
- : Top High School Math Olympians from USAMO Announced by MAA American Mathematics Competitions - News
The winners of the 46th Annual United States of America Mathematical Olympiad (USAMO), the top high school math olympians, were announced June 5 during a ceremony at the U.S. Department of State. More than 300,000 students participated in the MAA American Mathematics Competitions (AMC), organized by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) which culminates in the USAMO.
- : U.S. Team Wins First Place at European Girls’ Mathematical Olympiad - News
WASHINGTON, DC - The U.S. team took first place at the European Girls’ Mathematical Olympiad (EGMO) held April 6-12, 2017 in Zürich, Switzerland. In addition to the top team honors, each member of the four-person team was awarded a gold medal for their individual performance on the challenging mathematics exam.
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Wed, 09 Aug 2017 11:36:29 +0000: 'Robin Hood effects' on motivation in math - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Students from families with little interest in math benefit more from a school intervention program that aims at increasing math motivation than do students whose parents regard math as important. A study indicates the intervention program has a "Robin Hood effect" which reduces the "motivational gap" between students from different family backgrounds because new information about the importance of math is made accessible to underprivileged students.
- Fri, 04 Aug 2017 13:13:44 +0000: New model for bimolecular reactions in nanoreactors - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Theoretical physicists have devised a mathematical model of two different molecules reacting within so called nanoreactors that act as catalysts. They gained surprising new insights as to what factors promote reactions and how to control and select them. The model is relevant for a wide range of research fields, from biophysics to energy materials.
- Thu, 03 Aug 2017 14:31:50 +0000: Online assessment could improve math marks of deaf learners - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Online mathematics assessment could help improve the mathematics performance of deaf and hard-of-hearing learners in South Africa, suggests a new report.
- Wed, 26 Jul 2017 13:15:06 +0000: New 3-D technique uses water and robotics to reconstruct complex objects - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
'Using a robotic arm to immerse an object on an axis at various angles, and measuring the volume displacement of each dip, we combine each sequence and create a volumetric shape representation of an object,' says an expert.
- Thu, 20 Jul 2017 20:26:04 +0000: One step closer to halting the spread of Zika, Dengue, Chikungunya - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
A mathematical model can serve as a guide to make monthly predictions on when people are at greatest risk for contracting mosquito-borne viruses, such as dengue, Zika and chikungunya, due to climate conditions, scientists report.