We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : MAA Announces Winners of National Education Award - News
WASHINGTON, DC - The Edyth May Sliffe Awards for Distinguished Mathematics Teaching in Middle School and High School are given annually to middle and high school mathematics teachers who have done outstanding work to motivate students in mathematics by participating in one of the MAA American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) competitions.
- : Mathematicians Honored by MAA for Service and Teaching - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The top mathematics educators were honored by the Mathematical Association of America for their dedication to teaching and engaging students during MAA MathFest in Cincinnati on Aug. 2, 2019. The awards recognize excellence in mathematics teaching and the authors of education materials used in the classroom. The awards also honor MAA members for their service to the field of mathematics and to the Association.
- : Top Mathematics Writing Honored at MAA MathFest - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Prizes for the year’s best mathematics writing were given on Aug. 2, 2019 in Cincinnati by the Mathematical Association of America at MAA MathFest, the annual meeting of the Mathematical Association of America.
- : U.S. Places First at International Mathematics Competition in U.K. - News
- : Top High School Math Olympians Announced by MAA American Mathematics Competitions - News
WASHINGTON, DC - Sixteen top high school math students were honored for their excellence in mathematical olympiads on June 3, 2019 during a ceremony in Washington, D.C. at the U.S. Department of State.
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Mon, 21 Oct 2019 15:49:18 +0000: Novel method turns any 3D object into a cubic style - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Computer scientists have developed a computational method to quantify an abstract cubic style. Additionally, their method also enables users to create new shapes that resemble the input shape and exhibit the cubic style.
- Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:55:50 +0000: Mathematical modeling vital to tackling disease outbreaks - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Predicting and controlling disease outbreaks would be easier and more reliable with the wider application of mathematical modelling, according to a new study.
- Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:55:48 +0000: Information theory as a forensics tool for investigating climate mysteries - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
During Earth's last glacial period, temperatures on the planet periodically spiked dramatically and rapidly. A new article suggests that mathematics from information theory could offer a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding these mysterious events.
- Tue, 15 Oct 2019 20:46:44 +0000: Experiment measures velocity in 3D - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Many of today's scientific processes are simulated using computer-driven mathematical models. But for a model to accurately predict how air flow behaves at high speeds, for example, scientists need supplemental real life data. Providing validation data, using up-to-date methods, was a key motivating factor for a recent experimental study.
- Thu, 10 Oct 2019 13:58:15 +0000: Algorithm personalizes which cancer mutations are best targets for immunotherapy - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
As tumor cells multiply, they often spawn tens of thousands of genetic mutations. Figuring out which ones are the most promising to target with immunotherapy is like finding a few needles in a haystack. Now a new model hand-picks those needles so they can be leveraged in more effective, customized cancer vaccines.