We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : American Mathematical Society and Mathematical Association of America Announce AMS Acquisition of MAA Book Program - News
PROVIDENCE, RI, - The American Mathematical Society and the Mathematical Association of America announced September 29 an agreement for the AMS to acquire the MAA’s book publishing program. The high-quality mathematics titles and textbooks developed and edited by MAA Press will now be published as an imprint of the AMS Book Program. This agreement includes all existing MAA Press books, as well as a renewable license to continue to publish new books under the MAA Press imprint.
- : MAA Announces $150,000 to Increase Diversity in Math - News
Washington, DC--The Mathematical Association of America, on behalf of the Tensor Foundation, awarded $159,700 in funding to 30 institutions supporting women and underrepresented groups in mathematics in 2017.
- : Top Mathematics Writers Awarded Prizes at MAA MathFest - News
WASHINGTON, DC -- Awards for the year’s best mathematics writing were given on July 27 in Chicago by the Mathematical Association of America at MAA MathFest, one of the largest gathering of mathematicians in the country.
- : Nation’s Top Mathematics Educators Honored for 2017 - News
WASHINGTON, DC -- This year’s top mathematics educators were honored at for their dedication to teaching the next generation of quantitative thinkers with the mathematical skills to tackle real-world problems at the Mathematical Association of America MathFest in Chicago on July 27. The awards honor mathematics teaching and the authors of educational materials used in the classroom.
- : U.S. Students Bring Home Medals at International Mathematics Competition in Brazil - News
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Mon, 20 Nov 2017 19:15:07 +0000: Survey taps students' motivation in STEM - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Researchers are learning more about undergraduates' experience in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) classes and sharing a set of survey questions that will help researchers and educators at other universities do the same.
- Fri, 17 Nov 2017 19:17:13 +0000: Mathematician's study of 'swarmalators' could direct future science - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
How does the Japanese tree frog figure into the latest work of a noted mathematician? As it turns out, quite prominently. Researchers used the curious mating ritual of male Japanese tree frogs as inspiration for their exploration of 'swarmalators' -- their term for systems in which both synchronization and swarming occur together.
- Wed, 15 Nov 2017 20:36:40 +0000: What is the computational power of the universe? - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Can a close look at the universe give us solutions to problems too difficult for a computer -- even if we built a computer larger than a planet? Physicist Stephen Jordan reflects on this question in a new NIST video, along with a scientific paper that considers one particular tough problem the universe might answer.
- Mon, 13 Nov 2017 21:29:20 +0000: Using a mathematical lens to look at disease as a whole body problem - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
A novel computational method allows researchers to parse how multiple organs contribute to a disease over time, giving a more holistic view of disease and potentially revealing new avenues for intervention.
- Fri, 10 Nov 2017 21:40:20 +0000: Engaging children in math at home equals a boost in more than just math skills - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Preschool children who engage in math activities at home with their parents not only improve their math skills, but also their general vocabulary, according to research from Purdue University.