We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : Mathematical Association of America Welcomes New Secretary, President-Elect, and Board of Directors Members - News
Washington, DC - On Feb. 1, the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) welcomes the following officers to the Board of Directors:
Secretary, James Sellers, The Pennsylvania State University
President-Elect, Michael Dorff, Brigham Young University
Vice President, Carol Schumacher, Kenyon College
Chair of Congress, Suzanne Dorée, Augsburg University
Officer-at-Large, Jennifer Quinn, University of Washington Tacoma
- : MAA to Honor Exemplary Mathematical Papers and Service at Joint Mathematics Meetings - News
- : MAA to Honor Authors of Year’s Best Books in Mathematics - News
- : Taylor & Francis Group and the Mathematical Association of America begin publishing partnership in 2018 - News
Taylor & Francis Group and the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) are pleased to announce their new publishing partnership beginning in 2018.
Taylor & Francis Group will publish three journals on behalf of the association: The American Mathematical Monthly, College Mathematics Journal, and Mathematics Magazine, as well as one of the association magazines, Math Horizons.
- : MAA Authors selected for 'Best Writing on Mathematics' - News
The Mathematical Association of America is happy to announce that two articles from MAA publications have been selected in The Best Writing on Mathematics 2017, a Princeton University Press collection.
The MAA is proud that authors who publish with the MAA continue to set the bar for excellence in mathematical writing.
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Wed, 31 Jan 2018 19:45:55 +0000: Novel computational biology model accurately describes dynamics of gene expression - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Using a simple analytical framework for random events within a predictable system, computational biologists have found a new way to accurately model certain forms of gene expression, including the body's 24-hour internal clock. This new approach of applying a piecewise deterministic Markov process (PDMP) to gene expression could inform possible design principles for synthetic biologists.
- Wed, 24 Jan 2018 18:17:36 +0000: Positive attitude toward math predicts math achievement in kids - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
For the first time, scientists have identified the brain pathway that links a positive attitude toward math to achievement in the subject. In a study of elementary school students, researchers found that having a positive attitude about math was connected to better function of the hippocampus, an important memory center in the brain, during performance of arithmetic problems.
- Wed, 24 Jan 2018 17:30:53 +0000: Mathematicians develop model for how new ideas emerge - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Researchers have developed a mathematical model for the emergence of innovations.
- Thu, 18 Jan 2018 15:08:02 +0000: A centuries-old math equation used to solve a modern-day genetics challenge - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Researchers developed a new mathematical tool to validate and improve methods used by medical professionals to interpret results from clinical genetic tests.
- Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:10:54 +0000: The Fields Medal fallacy: Why this math prize should return to its roots - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
The Fields Medal, whose origins date back to the 1930s, will be issued again this year in August to up to four of the world's most accomplished mathematicians under the age of 40. Experts now propose that the Fields Medal return to its roots as a tool intended to shape the future of mathematics, rather than recognizing those who have already found the spotlight.