We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : MAA Thanks Outgoing Associate Secretary, Welcomes New Officer to Role - News
Washington, DC - Since 2009, Gerard Venema has served as the associate secretary of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA). Venema, a professor at Calvin College, oversaw the scientific program of the MAA’s two annual national meetings, MAA MathFest and the Joint Mathematics Meetings (JMM) in his capacity as associate secretary which will be filled by Hortensia Soto, a professor at the University of Northern Colorado.
- : Mathematical Association of America Welcomes New Deputy Executive Director, Rachel Levy - News
Washington, DC - Rachel Levy, former professor and associate dean at Harvey Mudd College, joined the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) as deputy executive director on Aug. 1, 2018. An active member of the MAA, Levy brings guidance and leadership to the MAA’s mission to advance the understanding of mathematics and its impact on our world.
- : Year’s Top Mathematics Educators Honored by MAA - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The top mathematics educators were honored by the Mathematical Association of America for their dedication to teaching and engaging students during MAA MathFest in Denver on Aug. 3. The awards recognize excellence in mathematics teaching and the authors of education materials used in the classroom.
- : MAA Awards Prizes for Top Mathematics Writing - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Prizes for the year’s best mathematics writing were given on Aug. 3 in Denver by the Mathematical Association of America at MAA MathFest, the summer gathering of the Mathematical Association of America.
- : Team USA Returns to First Place in Olympics of High School Math - News
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Thu, 20 Sep 2018 15:55:21 +0000: Mathematics meets biology to uncover unexpected biorhythms - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
A novel mathematical approach has uncovered that some animal cells have robust 12-hour cycles of genetic activity, in addition to circadian or 24-hour cycles.
- Wed, 19 Sep 2018 15:15:02 +0000: What your cell phone camera tells you about your brain - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Your brain is structured to make the best possible decision given its limited resources, according to new research that unites cognitive science and information theory -- the branch of mathematics that underlies modern communications technology.
- Mon, 10 Sep 2018 14:09:41 +0000: Researchers resolve a major mystery in 2D material electronics - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Researchers have discovered a one-size-fits-all master equation that shall pave the way towards better design of 2D material electronics.
- Tue, 04 Sep 2018 15:46:53 +0000: Mechanism of biological noise cancellation revealed - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Researchers report how a particular biochemical signaling pathway cancels biological noise, ensuring the proper stem cell differentiation during development. The conclusions are based on a combination of mathematical modeling and genetic experiments on fruit flies.
- Thu, 30 Aug 2018 22:01:08 +0000: Using physics to predict crowd behavior - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Electrons whizzing around each other and humans crammed together at a political rally don't seem to have much in common, but researchers are connecting the dots. They've developed a highly accurate mathematical approach to predict the behavior of crowds of living creatures, using methods originally developed to study large collections of quantum mechanically interacting electrons.