We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : MAA Announces Winners of National Education Award - News
WASHINGTON, DC - The Edyth May Sliffe Awards for Distinguished Mathematics Teaching in Middle School and High School are given annually to middle and high school mathematics teachers who have done outstanding work to motivate students in mathematics by participating in one of the MAA American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) competitions.
- : Mathematicians Honored by MAA for Service and Teaching - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The top mathematics educators were honored by the Mathematical Association of America for their dedication to teaching and engaging students during MAA MathFest in Cincinnati on Aug. 2, 2019. The awards recognize excellence in mathematics teaching and the authors of education materials used in the classroom. The awards also honor MAA members for their service to the field of mathematics and to the Association.
- : Top Mathematics Writing Honored at MAA MathFest - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Prizes for the year’s best mathematics writing were given on Aug. 2, 2019 in Cincinnati by the Mathematical Association of America at MAA MathFest, the annual meeting of the Mathematical Association of America.
- : U.S. Places First at International Mathematics Competition in U.K. - News
- : Top High School Math Olympians Announced by MAA American Mathematics Competitions - News
WASHINGTON, DC - Sixteen top high school math students were honored for their excellence in mathematical olympiads on June 3, 2019 during a ceremony in Washington, D.C. at the U.S. Department of State.
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Fri, 20 Nov 2020 18:26:20 +0000: Biophysics: Geometry supersedes simulations - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Physicists have introduced a new method that allows biological pattern-forming systems to be systematically characterized with the aid of mathematical analysis. The trick lies in the use of geometry to characterize the dynamics.
- Tue, 17 Nov 2020 16:31:10 +0000: Time to rethink predicting pandemic infection rates? - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
In a new article, a physicist explains how he combined math in the form of Tchebychev's inequality with a statistical ensemble to understand how macroscopic exponential growth with different daily rates arise from person-to-person disease infection.
- Mon, 02 Nov 2020 22:32:32 +0000: COVID-19 'super-spreading' events play outsized role in overall disease transmission - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Researchers find COVID-19 super-spreading events, in which one person infects more than six other people, are much more frequent than anticipated, and that they have an outsized contribution to coronavirus transmission.
- Wed, 28 Oct 2020 21:14:28 +0000: Forecasting elections with a model of infectious diseases - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Election forecasting is an innately challenging endeavor, with results that can be difficult to interpret and may leave many questions unanswered after close races unfold. Researchers have now borrowed ideas from epidemiology to develop a new method for forecasting elections. The team hoped the multidisciplinary nature of their infectious disease model could expand the community that engages with polling data and raise research questions from a new perspective.
- Mon, 26 Oct 2020 13:54:11 +0000: Divide and conquer: A new formula to minimize mathematics anxiety - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Mathematics -- it's the subject some kids love to hate. Yet despite its lack of popularity, mathematics is critical for a STEM-capable workforce and vital for current and future productivity. New research finds that boosting student confidence in mathematics is pivotal to greater engagement with the subject.