We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : U.S. Team Wins 1st Place at International Math Competition - News
U.S. Students Take Top Honors at Romanian Master of Mathematics
- : Putnam Competition Names Top Students in College Mathematics - NewsThe results of the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition, the preeminent undergraduate mathematics competition, were announced today. The 78th annual Putnam Mathematical Competition, organized by the Mathematical Association of America, recognized the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as the top team and six undergraduate students were named Putnam Fellows for their high scores on the rigorous six-hour mathematics exam.
- : Mathematical Association of America Welcomes New Secretary, President-Elect, and Board of Directors Members - News
Washington, DC - On Feb. 1, the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) welcomes the following officers to the Board of Directors:
Secretary, James Sellers, The Pennsylvania State University
President-Elect, Michael Dorff, Brigham Young University
Vice President, Carol Schumacher, Kenyon College
Chair of Congress, Suzanne Dorée, Augsburg University
Officer-at-Large, Jennifer Quinn, University of Washington Tacoma
- : MAA to Honor Exemplary Mathematical Papers and Service at Joint Mathematics Meetings - News
- : MAA to Honor Authors of Year’s Best Books in Mathematics - News
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Tue, 20 Mar 2018 12:43:13 +0000: Sound new technique tunes into the shifting shapes of biology - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Scientists have come up with a novel way of quantifying cell shapes -- with a lot of mathematics and a little musical inspiration.
- Tue, 13 Mar 2018 12:42:06 +0000: Single-cell imaging and math models used to determine effective drug properties - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Drug therapies that target a specific molecule have changed the way patients are treated for cancer and greatly improved survival rates. However, some patients do not respond to these therapies because the drug is not reaching the tumor cells effectively. In a new study, researchers combined single-cell imaging of cancer cells in mice with mathematical modeling to determine which drug characteristics are the most important for efficient drug uptake.
- Wed, 28 Feb 2018 18:41:11 +0000: New mathematical framework establishes the risk of dramatic collapses of real networks - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
A theoretical framework explaining the risk of rare events causing major disruptions in complex networks, such as a blackout in a power grid, has been proposed by a mathematician in a new paper.
- Wed, 28 Feb 2018 14:22:32 +0000: When ‘colder’ means ‘hotter’: Explaining the increasing temperature of cooling granular gases - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
A mathematician has developed a theory to explain ‘heating by cooling’, where the temperature of a granular gas increases while the total energy drops down - a peculiar phenomenon which can be observed both on Earth and in space.
- Tue, 27 Feb 2018 20:58:44 +0000: How do teachers integrate STEM into K-12 classrooms? - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Although the call for improving STEM education is widespread, there is little guidance for teachers on how to do so. A team set out to outline challenges and find best practices for teachers to better integrate science, technology, engineering and math in their classrooms.