We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : MAA Announces Winners of National Education Award - News
WASHINGTON, DC - The Edyth May Sliffe Awards for Distinguished Mathematics Teaching in Middle School and High School are given annually to middle and high school mathematics teachers who have done outstanding work to motivate students in mathematics by participating in one of the MAA American Mathematics Competitions (AMC) competitions.
- : Mathematicians Honored by MAA for Service and Teaching - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The top mathematics educators were honored by the Mathematical Association of America for their dedication to teaching and engaging students during MAA MathFest in Cincinnati on Aug. 2, 2019. The awards recognize excellence in mathematics teaching and the authors of education materials used in the classroom. The awards also honor MAA members for their service to the field of mathematics and to the Association.
- : Top Mathematics Writing Honored at MAA MathFest - News
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Prizes for the year’s best mathematics writing were given on Aug. 2, 2019 in Cincinnati by the Mathematical Association of America at MAA MathFest, the annual meeting of the Mathematical Association of America.
- : U.S. Places First at International Mathematics Competition in U.K. - News
- : Top High School Math Olympians Announced by MAA American Mathematics Competitions - News
WASHINGTON, DC - Sixteen top high school math students were honored for their excellence in mathematical olympiads on June 3, 2019 during a ceremony in Washington, D.C. at the U.S. Department of State.
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Wed, 11 Sep 2019 11:42:02 +0000: Focusing on key sustainable development goals would boost progress across all, analysis finds - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
The world could make greater progress towards the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals by prioritizing a subset of the goals rather than pursuing them all equally, a first-of-its-kind mathematical study reveals.
- Tue, 10 Sep 2019 17:42:56 +0000: Mathematical model could help correct bias in measuring bacterial communities - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
A mathematical model shows how bias distorts results when measuring bacterial communities through metagenomic sequencing. The proof-of-concept model could be the first step toward developing calibration methods that could make metagenomic measurements more accurate.
- Mon, 09 Sep 2019 19:42:11 +0000: Good at math? It means little if you're not confident - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Being good at math relates to better financial and medical outcomes -- unless you don't have confidence in your own abilities with numbers, new research suggests. In two studies, researchers found that the key to success in personal finances and dealing with a complex disease was a match between a person's math abilities and how comfortable and assured he or she felt using those skills.
- Mon, 09 Sep 2019 14:45:34 +0000: The ever-winning lottery ticket: Mathematicians solve a dusty mystery - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
After years of work, mathematics researchers have answered a mysterious half-century-old riddle. The mystery was all but forgotten until a Danish researcher heard about, and then decided to tackle it.
- Fri, 06 Sep 2019 17:40:11 +0000: Sum of three cubes for 42 finally solved -- using real life planetary computer - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Hot on the heels of the ground-breaking 'Sum-Of-Three-Cubes' solution for the number 33, mathematicians have solved the final piece of the famous 65-year-old math puzzle with an answer for the most elusive number of all - 42.