We provide the latest Mathematics news from all of the corners of the globe.
Please browse through our daily news feeds below, all data has been hand selected and approved by our Editor in Chief.
The Official News from the Mathematical Association of America has duly been updated below:
- : Top High School Math Olympians Announced by MAA American Mathematics Competitions - News
WASHINGTON, DC - Sixteen top high school math students were honored for their excellence in mathematical olympiads on June 3, 2019 during a ceremony in Washington, D.C. at the U.S. Department of State.
- : Improving Student Outcomes in Higher Education Mathematics - News
This spring, the House of Representatives Committee on Education and Labor is holding a series of hearings to support their deliberations on the reauthorization of the Higher Education Act. Chairman Bobby Scott of Virginia noted that the Committee has an opportunity "to pass a comprehensive Higher Education Act reauthorization that puts quality and affordable higher education within reach for every student."
- : U.S. Team Takes First Place at European Girls’ Mathematical Olympiad - News
Washington, DC - The U.S. team took first place at the European Girls’ Mathematical Olympiad (EGMO) held April 7-13, 2019 in Kyiv, Ukraine against teams from 50 countries. In addition to first place team honors, each member of the four-person team was awarded a medal for their individual performance on the challenging mathematics exam.
- : U.S. Team Takes Top Prize at Romanian Master of Mathematics - News
- : Putnam Competition Announces Top Students in Undergraduate Mathematics - News
Also the Official News from Science Daily has been added below:
- Wed, 17 Jul 2019 16:26:13 +0000: Crunching the numbers of cancer metastasis - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
While revealing that metastatic breast cancer cells alter their shape to spread to other regions of the body, researchers develop a mathematical model that can be applied to study similar cellular systems.
- Wed, 17 Jul 2019 14:52:52 +0000: Modeling tool addresses uncertainty in military logistics planning - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Military deployments to austere environments -- whether humanitarian missions or combat operations -- involve extensive logistical planning, which is often complicated by unforeseen events. Researchers have now created a model aimed at helping military leaders better account for logistical risk and uncertainty during operational planning and execution.
- Tue, 16 Jul 2019 16:48:33 +0000: Take flight! Automating complex design of universal controller for hybrid drones - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Hybrid unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs, are drones that combine the advantages of multi-copters and fixed-wing planes. These drones are equipped to vertically take off and land like multi-copters, yet also have the strong aerodynamic performance and energy-saving capabilities of traditional planes. As hybrid UAVs continue to evolve, however, controlling them remotely still remains a challenge.
- Fri, 12 Jul 2019 16:02:28 +0000: 'The way you move': Body structure brings coordinated movement - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
A computer model shows that a starfish-like animal can coordinate rhythmic motion based on body structure without the brain telling them to do so. This provides insights useful for physiology and robotics.
- Thu, 11 Jul 2019 21:11:35 +0000: Strange warping geometry helps to push scientific boundaries - Mathematics News -- ScienceDaily
Researchers have built an electronic array on a microchip that simulates particle interactions in a hyperbolic plane, a geometric surface in which space curves away from itself at every point.